10 December 2010

Doom TOO???

It goes without saying that not only will this be a 201? project; but that it will not involve the source of the travails I have yet to put behind me. . .

I was spending some time on eBay the other day, when I ran across Verlinden's 120mm "Eve before the Battle" (#1356) in their Agincourt series. . .


I'm sure most of you can see where this is going. . .

As a man-at-arms/knight of the period--much less a protagonist at Agincourt, there is no way I can recommend this piece. But as the basis for an extreme "makeover" into the Lord of Latveria, it has potential to spare!

The casting was on par with what we have come to expect from Verlinden, perhaps even a little better! The resin quality is certainly a noticeable improvement--and clearly some thought went into the engineering and design! The self-contained vignette is comprised of 29 pieces (including two printed maps) + a sizable chunk of proportionate groundwork--very nicely done, btw! 14 of these have already been culled, 8 of which will end up in the spare parts bins along with the base.

I am rather excited about the promise evinced by this kit. We'll see how things unfold. . .

FOLLOW-UP. . . While waiting for some putty to cure, I began the general clean-up, more at familiarizing myself with the kit. Most of the "block" sprues have now been removed; and the camp chair, the future throne, cast in two halves (r & l), has been assembled. To this point, no real surprises or revelations.

The main hurdle before me is deciding whether to add bulk to the armour. This is a tricky propo- sition, as increasing the surface area of the plate could effectively distort the proportions of the figure. Still there is a happy medium: the question is whether it is worth the additional effort. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment