29 December 2010

Eaglemoss???

Allow me to cut to the chase. . . I am a huge fan of Eaglemoss. After the arrival today of my latest acquisition, I can say I am an ardent fan of Eaglemoss!

For those of you not familiar with this UK publishing house, Eaglemoss is a partworks publisher. At its simplest, partwork is like a Time-Life series where the publications are "magazines" (more at folios), usually accompanied by a cover-mounted item, which over time will yield a complete set or complete object. While I cannot give you an American example, there are notable part- work publishers in the UK, Italy and Spain.

I've never been very big into the partwork scene--if only because the quality of the cover item is usually quite sub-standard. Enter Eaglemoss. This publisher is producing under license a series of DC and Marvel collectible pre-paints averaging 80-85mm in height that are really quite remark- able--all the more as the average item upon release will retail for less than US$15.00(!), and remember that includes a 20pp profile of the featured character. Now, in today's hyper-inflated figure market, where can you find an 80-85mm figure--to say nothing of a decently sculpted and cast 80-85mm figure--for less than $15.00???!!!

For those who are interested, I will let your fingers do the Google-ing. There are LOADS of sites devoted to these little gems. Feeling less inquisitive? Try Eaglemoss's Classic Marvel Figurine Collection or DC Comics Super Hero Collection.

I am currently the "proud" owner of six releases: 4 Marvel and 2 DC. In the days ahead, I will review my latest acquisition: Hawkgirl, and the surprises therein. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment