07 August 2018

Atlantean Warrior--and mount

Those of you that know me know that I love the open water and its inhabitants. Hence, it should come as no surprise that I am very much looking forward to the December release of Aquaman. When I first heard that Jason Momoa has been cast in the titular role, I was not exactly jumping for joy; but after seeing him in Justice League, I was sold! This may be the first movie I've gone to see since The Dark Knight Rises in 2012!!

The concept art and the occasional still have begun to make their way onto the Web, and I am very excited--especially given the extent to which the denizens of the deep have been embraced and incorporated into the storyline. Which means that some of the toothier amongst them will have a prominent presence. . . in short, SHARK RIDERS!

There are two protagonists with their mounts already announced by Mattel in their movie tie-in action figure line: Aquaman and a Great White, and Nuidis Vulko and a [Great?] Hammerhead. The sharks could be modded and brought up to "standard", if one were so inclined--and for the latter, I might still consider it. But for the Great White, one can do no better than Pegasus Hob- bies' 1/18 scale (90mm) Great White Shark! 





This is a magnificent rendition of this mega-predator! The only drawback is the fact that the shark itself is cast in semi-hard vinyl--albeit flawlessly, and there will be quite a bit of seam-work (joins) to muddle one's way through (all the fins, the head, the jaw, etc.). That being said, anyone with a modicum of experience with vinyl should have no problems whatsoever.

I have one kit of the Great White, but it has already been spoken for, project-wise. So I was sur- prised to see that this kit is getting somewhat difficult to come by--and priced accordingly. I found one for a reasonable price, but if you are interested in this kit, I would not think about it too long.

More on this project in the months to come. . . 

When the cost of a hobby exceeds the fun and doesn't attract new people, the game is over.” -
Oscar Koveleski, August 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment