12 March 2011

Smart Max--The Reverend Dudley

You might say that this is the piece that started it all--it being a rekindling of a life long interest in Victorian alternate realities. . . with me at least. . .

And yet I am hard-pressed to label the Reverend Dudley as a Steam- punk figure. Gothic, yes; but not Steampunk. Contextually, it is an undeniable cog in the "Smog 1888" canon; but as a stand-alone figure, there any number of options at the disposal of the adventurous miniaturist. . .

When I first saw this figure, I immediately felt the compelling "call of the wretched sea." Thus, while only having this figure since the last Atlanta Show when it was graciously presented as a gift, I knew that someday this figure would be the base for a Gothic [re-]interpreta- tion of Melville's Ahab.

Regardless of whether one likes the figures or the subject-matter, one can not help but admire the art and craft of Smart Max! And the Rev. Dudley is quintessential SM!! The kit is comprised of 18 crisply cast pieces + the now de rigeur cobblestoned plinth. "So?", you ask. Well the figure itself is essentially one-piece, with only the right arm and the head cast separately. All but four (harpoon [2], cross, and right arm) of the remaining 15 pieces are dedicated to the coffin of the Reverend's wife! Casting quality is overall VG++, with only the occasional air-bubble marring an otherwise pristine casting.

So much for the review. If you like the figure as is, you will not be disappointed!!!

On to the project. I am barely into it, so bear with me if you would. To date, I have filled the aforementioned "occasional air-bubbles". I have also removed the subject's left leg mid-thigh, and roughed-in what will be Ahab's new "poser". Finally, using heat, I have reworked the "hang" of the left side of the coat's skirt.

This will be a long-term project, so progress will be sporadic at best--for now. . .

FOLLOW-UP . . . The way things are going, I might be ready to permanently reattach the left leg by this evening. As I write, the figure is in the oven with the reworked [left] pant leg curing, along with the extended coat tail. Once I finish the leg and coat tail, and check the fit of the coffin, I will decide whether to extend the length of the coat for the full 360° (this is the direction in which I am leaning). Finally, I've trimmed down the beard on the ol' Reverend and have begun tweaking the facial features some.

FOLLOW-UP (2) . . . The leg and coat-tails are now 80% 90% finished and the leg is ready to be has been permanently reattached. The coffin has also been fitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment