15 January 2012

White Ape of Barsoom - Painting (2)

1530: Phase 1 of the oils--basecoating the entire canvas save for head, hair and accessories--went surprisingly well. After laying out a rather diverse palette, I just went at it. . . and as in most "free- form" applications, at least with me, I couldn't be happier! The organic tones throughout will be a challenge to preserve through the shading and highlighting processes, but this is what painting is all about!

1920: WHEW!!! Phase 2 of the oils is now all-but-complete. I probably have another hour or so of touch-ups, etc. to wrap-up and then I can call it a night!

A very challenging and satisfying painting session! Phase 3 will be final touch-ups and glazing, and will continue long after Phase 4 (head/hair) is completed. Phase 5 will be "accessories" and groundwork.

We're off to the races. . . !

FOLLOW-UP - 18.01.12. . . Yesterday was a harrowing day back at the "salt mines", but I was anxious to get past that and build-upon the work done over the weekend. To this end, I spent some time glazing the raging simian with Talens' Transparent White and W&N Zinc White. I couldn't be happier! Probably one more session with Transp. White lies ahead, and then the final wrap-up session with Flake White. And lest I forget, Phase 1 of the face was completed!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Augie,

    You are moving right along with all of your projects and I couldn't be more excited!!

    Is there a chance of ip shots on any of the pieces or are you going to wait till each individual project is complete before showing us you masterpieces!! :-))

    ReplyDelete