12 December 2009

Monarch Nosferatu (4): Finishing the head and arms--UPDATE

I am on a good pace to finish--and put away!--the head tonight! Surface finishing has been completed, the right ear is done, and the left ear about 75% of the way there.

The left arm is all-but-done, with some minor trimming and polishing remaining. I would like to have the left arm permanently attached by the end of the weekend.

Finally, all the rats have been assembled: the kit-provided rats remind me more of long-nosed muskrats than rats, so I replaced them all--and added some--from the Aurora Customizing Monster sets. I know this will deviate from the scene upon which I am basing the figure, but they are a must for any number of reasons.

FOLLOW-UP
Best laid plans. . . On the plus side, the left arm is done and ready to be attached. I still have a bit more work to do on the left half of the frock in terms of undercutting and surface finishing, but it is approx. 85% done as I write. The downside is that, save for a few minor touch-ups that I took care of tonight, the remainder of work on the head will have to be done later today.

WEEKEND WRAP-UP
Picking-up from where I left off much earlier this morning, the head and the left arm are done: once cleaned, they will be ready to be put away and permanently attached, respectively. The right arm is all-but-done: some minor reduction and drapery issues, and then on to surface finishing and mounting.

Most of the work on the frock is now done, though I still have six buttons to take care of. I am hoping that by this time next weekend, the figure will be ready for priming.

UPDATE
Just to keep you abreast of the progress since the last posting, all the putty work (including the buttons!) save for that on the hands is now done. Clean-up and final finishing will begin in earnest tonight. While I don't think I will have the figure primed over the weekend, I am still on track to have it ready for priming before Monday.

Until next time. . .

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    It ALL sounds really good. I can't wait to see this piece go to the painting bench!
    If time permits I'd love to see one ip shot of him before you put the brushes to him!!

    Keep it up!! Great work my friend!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy!

    Thanks for the encouraging words. It was a VERY productive weekend; but, boy, am I "out of shape"!!!!

    Ask and ye shall receive. I hope to have two sets of photos up within the fortnight: one, the finished piece (minus hands) pre-priming; and two, the primed piece.

    Best get back to it. . .

    ReplyDelete