12 December 2009

Doyusha 1/4 Date Masamune's suji kabuto

It appears as if Doyusha intends to continue their series of historical kabuto, with no less than three new releases. Only one dates from the Sengoku, and it purports to represent none other than Date Masamune's iconic "crescent moon kabuto". It is also significant that this is the first offering--that I am aware of--with a menpō.

So much for the good news. While the views of this kit at our disposal are limited, my initial impressions are not favourable. At the heart of my disappointment is the flattened shikoro. I thought I had seen every surviving period suji kabuto associated with Masamune, and not a single one has a shikoro remotely resembling the kit's. There are other issues as well, but this is the deal-breaker. I am delighted that Doyusha continues to expand the line--if only for the prospect of seeing some venerable old releases re-issued, but my enthusiasm will be rapidly quenched if they persist on this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment