27 December 2009

Monarch Nosferatu--PAINTING (I)

I had a spare hour or so this afternoon, so I decided to go ahead and get the spot-priming behind me. "Spot-priming" is what I call the select application of primer to suspected/known trouble areas. It's not something that, as figure modellers, we tend to do as a matter of course, but it is nonetheless an essential technique for most aspects of scale plastic modelling.

I use the G-S Mr. Surfacer primers for spot priming, due to their filling properties. In this instance, I used Mr. Surfacer 500 applied with an airbrush, with special attention being paid to the long lateral seams of the frock and the medial seams of the boots.

All in all, I was very pleased with the results. While flaws were indeed revealed (including one to which I didn't have a clue!), they were relatively few, and should be taken care of before calling it a night today.

If work isn't too bad, I will try to get the figure primed and on the paint bench by tomorrow evening. In any event, I should be applying the undercoat by this coming weekend.

FOLLOW-UP
The figure is now primed!!! I'll try to give it the final once-over over the next few days, and then post images of the primed piece.

28.12.09--UPDATE
The figure has been moved to the painting bench! I'll try to get images of the primed components posted by the weekend. Back to the hands!

2 comments:

  1. Augie,

    The piece to date looks FANTASTIC!! I very much look forward to seeing him move to the painting table and the sbs as it proceeds.

    Kudos my dear friend!!!:-):-):-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, cher! The painting will commence over the weekend!!

    ReplyDelete