15 March 2012

Knight Models' Daredevil (KMV019)

I picked-up this kit (8/500), KM's premier release in their Marvel Knights series, at last year's (2011) Atlanta Show. I'm not a big DD fan per se, but the design of this kit simply won over this fellow New Yorker.

This is a multi-media kit: DD is cast in white metal (6 pieces); and the funerary sculpture of an angel, which serves as the titular subject's 'pedestal', is cast primarily in resin (3 pieces), with two pieces (r. forearm and plinth) in white metal. One would expect that with casting #8, that the quality would be exceptional--and it was relatively so. . . at least where the subject figure was concerned. The funerary sculpture? Not so much. Nonetheless, one of the better KM's I have purchased.

The funerary sculpture of an angel--this is what "sold" me on the kit. It is also what almost made me want to sell the kit once I got it home and carefully inspected it! The casting was no better than a "C"; actually closer to "C-": the fit was marginal, and there were numerous obvious air voids. While the modelling of the angel was perfectly adequate, there was not a true line to be found in the geometric portions of the sculpture. And while admittedly a subjective evaluation, the design evinced an indolent simplicity.

I initially decided to discard the angel, and create a new "pedestal". An elaborate and suitably gothic Celtic cross headstone was my first choice; or a gargoyle, or the ledge of a highrise with a stained glass rose window as a backdrop. But ultimately, the inherent dualism of angel and devil prevailed, and I reconsidered. As you might have gathered, the lion's share of the work on this piece will be focused on bringing the angel "up to speed".

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment