03 March 2010

"Rebuffed!": The Monster's Head--Graphic Update #1


(click to enlarge)


UPDATE--04.03.10
The face is now 75% done, give or take. Most of the work this evening focused on the mouth and jawline, one of the few areas left as is by Pierce. I am very pleased with what is slowly emerging and any images at this stage are, by definition, out of context.

In addition to tweaking the mouth and expression, I enhanced the lower lids, and roughed-in the scarred area on the right cheek, as well as the two major staples on the forehead. I will probably concentrate on establishing the hairline and stitched incisions over the weekend.

UPDATE--05.03.10
The Monster's face is now all-but-done. Yes, there will probably be tweaking here and there right up to the moment I prime it, but for all intents and purposes, the face can be deemed "completed". . . or nearly so.

I've started enhancing the suture lines and plotting out the hairline. Keep in mind that this is no more the Frankenstein monster, than the Son of Frankenstein monster is the Bride's groom. Each installment in the Karloff trilogy was separated by four years from its predecessor: Karloff was not only aging (43 in 1931), but he was finally enjoying the rewards of his lifelong sacrifices for his art and craft. So in this reclamation, not only am I restoring/creating Karloff's likeness, but I'm converting the '31 semblance to the '35: in addition to the burn scars, the groom's hair is scorched short in the TBoF, thus revealing the full complement of scalp staples.

I'll try to get images up over the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Augie,

    He is starting to look like Karloff!! I really like how his face is longer and those nice high, pronounced cheek bones stand out!! Karloff had a VERY striking and handsome profile and you have definately captured it with your work to date. Thanks for the pics, and I look forward to future progress!!:-)))

    ReplyDelete