21 March 2010

"The Wolf Man"--The Trap (I)

After capturing 25+ stills from the film, and perusing I-don't-know-how-many sites, images, etc., I am finally comfortable with proceeding with the pivotal gin trap.

In the last 48 hrs., I have made two maquettes: one from epoxy putty, and the other from brass. Neither medium lent itself to what I want to do, or--more importantly--how I want to do it. Thus, for now, I have settled on PUR, working from scrap blanks. I am virtually certain that this will be a multi-media undertaking, but the primary raw material will be PUR.

To date, I have an all-but-done extended stock with the rough standards permanently attached; and an as-yet-to-be-attached bridge.

Stay tuned. . .

FOLLOW-UP

In an attempt to get a jump on the week ahead, I have now cast two rough jaw blanks. The operative word here is "rough". Very simply, I made a quick open-faced mold from Klean-Klay, first pressing the stock on its side into the clay to give me a dimensional guideline; and then carefully scraping-out two flattened U-shaped channels. I then poured regular Alumilite into the channels. . . et, voilà! If I eyeballed things correctly, I should have two jaw blanks momentarily. If not, the whole process takes less than 20 minutes. . .

FOLLOW-UP #2

The jaws are now ~80% done. All that is really left to do is finishing and tweaking dimensions--and the mounting/pivot lugs on the jaws. As to the teeth (BTW, pliant rubber in the film), I consider these a point of detail, and will thus be done at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment