10 January 2011

A Winter Wonderland & Eaglemoss's Hobgoblin

For many of the readership along the central Bible Belt of the US, the last two days have been a rare treat ("treat" for me; a meteorological curse for others): today, I woke up to 6" of snow in metro Atlanta, and it is gorgeous!!! While things have progressed to where 1 or 2" will no longer shut the metro area down (all evidence of grocery stocks to the contrary), anything over 4" will virtually guarantee us a "snow day". Today has been the first "snow day" in at least 10 years!

Regrettably, that does not mean a[n entire] day off to spend on the figures. Quite the contrary. In some ways, it is a more taxing work day than if I had gone in. But. . . one can sneak away and "piddle about" whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Since any serious figure work was out of the question until after at least 1700 (I have a meeting at 1600), I decided to start playing around with my first Eaglemoss acquisition, the Hobgoblin (Marvel #102).

After discovering the multi-media approach on Hawkgirl, I was wondering how much diversity would be found on the Hobgoblin. Well, aside from the display plinth, this one was all white metal. BUT. . . what I thought would be a two-piece casting turned out to be a four six(!)-piece affair!!! Say what you want, but that is an impressive number of components for a 'limited mass-market' prepaint! Close inspection revealed an isolated head, and obviously the tattered cape was cast separately (great engineering!); but the separately cast pouch almost escaped me, if only because I was not anticipating it. [NOTE: while rinsing off the casting after stripping, I noticed a build-up of gelled adhesive around the cuffs of the gauntlets: sure enough, the hands were cast separately! Duh!!]

FOLLOW-UP. . . While I had the stripping pot (Al foil "tray") going, I figured I'd make the most of it and go ahead and strip Viper/Madame Hydra (Marvel #114). More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment