21 January 2011

Doctor Doom/Red Skull - Painting: Intermezzo & the Weekend

By way of transition to Phase 2, I all-but-completed the front panel of the throne yesterday: all that remains to be done is the decorative gilt border along the lower edge. Once that gets done, I can begin to seriously consider how and when to begin assembling the figure.

Today (this evening) was spent tearing down, cleaning, and re-assembling my tried-and-true relic Badger 200 airbrush (AB). This was my very first AB: it is now over 35 yrs. old and still suits my particular needs admirably! While my workhorse AB is a Paasche H, the Badger gets the call for those "special" applications, and I have just that coming-up shortly.

Looking forward to tomorrow--and the weekend, I plan to do the gilt border on the front panel, and the belt on Doom (hmm. . . black or classic brown?); and the belt on the Red Skull. Time and energy permitting, I will also do the boots of the latter tomorrow. . .

Until then. . .

FOLLOW-UP- 22.01.11. . . The belt is done! And I opted for black. A custom black mixed from Perylene Maroon and Pthalo Green, mid- tones "highlighted" with Burnt Umber. An interesting "black" that doesn't get overwhelmed by the bright Kelly green tunic.

Back to the bench!

FOLLOW-UP (2). . . Just wrapped up the gilt edging on the front quarter panel, and the lower sections of the carved lions on either throne half. Once dry, I should be able to assemble the throne/ figure, leaving just the arms to attach. The moment of truth is nigh!!!

Lunch break!

FOLLOW-UP (3). . . The belt and the boots on the Red Skull are now done! Save for finishing the EK1 and the collar insignia (both now basecoated), it too is now ready for secondary assembly.

UPDATE- 23.01.11. . . Doom is now assembled! Assembly was 95+% uneventful, with some minor re-working of the trailing edge of the left half of the throne required, which in turn necessitated some repainting of the upholstered area of the same. I may have to revisit this once the piece is permanently mounted.

WEEKEND WRAP-UP- 23.01.11. . . The rest of the afternoon was spent with Doom, correcting the anticipated shortcomings of the assembly process (in-situ modelling), re-u/c'ing those areas, and beginning the re-painting alluded to throughout the postings re: this project. Fortunately, it will not be as drastic as I originally envisioned--which is not necessarily a good thing. . .

3 comments:

  1. Augie,

    I say black!I prefer his belt black,to go with his brooding demeaner, but "classic" brown will look just fine,too!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, guy!

    I'm still very undecided--not a good thing since I'll be at the bench within the hour. ;-)

    Chromatically, the black is a decidedly better fit; but the classic brown would provide certain visual advantages. . . I'm now leaning towards a decidedly warm black.

    I'll let you know before the day's out. . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds just GGGRRREEEAATTT!!!!.....

    Now for some pictures....."pretty" please!!!( If and when you get the time! )

    ReplyDelete