31 January 2011

Doctor Doom - Painting (VI)

While Doom's hooded mantle continues to dry, I thought I'd proceed with the remaining metalwork on the figure--remember the gilt woodwork of the throne still awaits me!

This evening saw the successful finishing of the first round of metallics on the mantle clasps and the belt buckle. "First round" as I will wait for the printer's inks, using Liquin as the carrier, to cure before proceeding with the shading, and subsequent touch-ups to the highlighting. Should be ready by tomorrow. . .

I also began to super-highlight the armour, using the applied "glints" as catchlights. Restraint was the key throughout this process, and there is considerably more to follow, especially after the arms are attached. Finally, the scale chain that is to replace the crudely-modelled twisted "rope" connecting the clasps was painted gold. As it has yet to be attached, I fully expect judicious and careful touching-up to follow.

For better or worse, this has been the turning point in the project. Though far from completion, the piece is now approaching how I envisioned it when I first ordered it. Better late than never, I suppose. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment