17 January 2011

Red Skull - Painting (I)

Wrapping-up the Top Three, updates on Herr General Schmidt, Der Rote Schädel, bka "The Red Skull".

RS was mostly undercoated late Saturday--straightforward blocking- off of major garments to this point. One of the last things I did Sunday morning (late Saturday) was u/c the head. This revealed some aspects that I was not entirely satisfied with, so I spent most of yesterday morning back at the workbench tweaking as necessary with grinder and putty; and once satisfied, applying the final coat of acrylics.

The kit's trenchcoat as provided did not include a [modeled] lining. Given the reflective nature of the satin?/sateen? lining, I consider this a significant oversight. As a considerable amount of time had already been spent reworking the lower edges of the trenchcoat during prep, I decided to carve-in the lining. . .

[FF to the present. . . ]

How to replicate the finery and sheen of the lining? I decided to undercoat the interior of the trenchcoat in Vallejo Black, and then apply an undiluted coat of G-S Dark Iron. After letting it set for ~3 mins., I buffed it out--perfect! If I were doing a med-dk grey lining, that would be as far as I'd go. But as I am leaning towards a colored lining, I still have the final glaze to apply. The trenchcoat is in the oven allowing the lacquer to harden.

More to follow. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment