11 January 2011

Snow Day #2 and The Final 4

It is not only Snow Day #2, but I have just been notified that there will be a Snow Day #3. As beautiful as it's been, things are now starting to get "ugly". The roads remain by and large impassable, and the time has come to break out the snow shovels. Yes, I DO love snow. . . YES, I do HATE shoveling it. Especially, the wet, slushy stuff that weighs a ton compared to its just-fallen, powdery counterpart.

But enough of that. . . With a little over 6 weeks to go, I've had to make some tough decisions over the last few days. The original line-up for the upcoming Atlanta show was winnowed down to four by Sunday. The finalists are as follows:
  • The Red Skull
  • Vampire Bat (bust)
  • Dr. Doom
and
  • Gambit
Everything has been primed and moved to the painting bench. The brushes have been cleaned, the thinners refreshed, and the references gathered.

Four figures in six weeks. . . hmmm. . . certainly doable, but from where I'm sitting, not a very enjoyable prospect--and that's without knowing what knucklers will be hurled my way by work in that time.

Hence my listing. The first three are my anticipated core display: it would take something extraordinary to upset this lineup. Gambit will be the optional piece: I will work on it as time permits and in- between sessions on the "starters", but it will not be on the painting schedule, per se.

My only reservation re: my starters is the fact that Doom will have to be entered in the Painter's Category. Despite the fact that I essentially re-engineered and re-fitted the entire figure, expending nearly as much putty as it took to model the original, I don't think I will be allowed to enter it in the Open. I never have been partial to splitting my displays--in fact, to date I never have; so Doom may take a backseat to Gambit if this gets far enough under my skin. . .

Though I have one meeting scheduled for tomorrow, I fully expect to start slinging some paint in the next 18 hrs. . . .

4 comments:

  1. Augie,

    All this sounds VERY exciting. I look forward to all the projects going forward and hope, with time permiting, are sbs's!! :-)) I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the weks to come.

    As far as the weather, I couldn't believe the pictures of greater Atlanta that I was seeing. WOW!! Has this been the most snowfall you have experienced since you have lived there? It is nice to get a day or so off because of it, but I understand your concern now as it lingers on and leads to more days off.

    Stay warm and dry and I'll stay in touch. Keep up the good work my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy!

    As to the weather, it has been simply gorgeous--you know how I revel in snow. But this city is simply not prepared for a storm of this magnitude and it quickly dampens the enthusiasm.

    This is in the top three since 1986: there was one my first winter here that was a doozie, but it also pushed through in a few hours, so nothing major. The "Blizzard of '93" dropped less than 5" by the time it hit the eastern perimeter, so AFAIwC, much ado about nothing--and the roads were clear within a day. This storm won't top the all-time list, but it will certainly be in the Top 5.

    A day off or two would be nice. Unfortunately, I've put in nearly as much time as if I had been at work; so no real break to speak of. Tomorrow is promising, but I have a meeting at 1400, so I have to work around that--and the ice!

    I hope I do get a chance to take some ip shots, but it doesn't look good. I've got four primed figures on the painting bench--all multiple sub-assemblies save for the Bat--so I it's a bit of a tight squeeze. I'll see what I can do to set-up a pro-tem shoot area. . .

    Best to the family, cher!

    A~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Augie,

    I have a question about your display concerningwhich catagory some of the pieces would go in.

    You mentioned how you are lamenting the fact that you will have to probably split the display because Dr. Doom will have to go in the "painters" catagory. I'm guessing you believe that because even though you have re-worked him in large measure, for the better I might add, he is essentially as he was prior to to the resculpt!? If you are right about that why wouldn't Vampire Bat be in the painters catogory? To me he is more a "stock" casting than Doom is. You were so pleased with the casting as it was except for cutting down the pedestal he is as he originally was. Help this poor soul understand the difference.

    Thanks.
    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely right. However, I am in a better position to defend my argument with the Bat because: 1) not only was the pedestal cut down significantly, but the bust was significantly repositioned upon the same; and 2) [sadly,] nobody is familiar with the bust in question, and are thus less likely to challenge it.

    Doom, on the other hand, is not only a recent figure that has had huge amounts of exposure, but appears essentially as it does on the box art. I am leaning more and more to including him in the Open due to the extensive reworking of the leg harnesses; but I know full well what I will be dealing with, and at this point it is simply not worth the hassle.

    Yet another contrivance to drastically impact the enjoyment of a show. . .

    Let me get ready to face the commute from Hell--the powers that be (though in London and the NE, respectively) determined that the office would be open today. . .

    ReplyDelete