31 January 2010

"Der Vampyrjäger"-PAINTING: To date. . .

As I will not be able to set-up my photography niche until later this week, I thought I would provide an introductory summary of what has been done (or nearly so) to date.

Prior to resumption of project:
  • Boots
  • Face
  • Buffcoat
  • All armour "undercoated" in G-S Mr. Metal lacquers
Since the resumption of project:
  • Cuirass (blackened)
  • Bridle Gauntlet (russetted)
  • Breeches
  • UPDATE 05.02.10--Groundwork u/c'ed
  • UPDATE 07.02.10--Right forearm: all but the mail; Sword grip
  • UPDATE 07.02.10--Boot hose
  • UPDATE 07.02.10--Cuirass belt
  • UPDATE 12.02.10--Groundwork completed
  • UPDATE 12.02.10--Bridle Gauntlet sub-assembly completed
  • UPDATE 14.02.10--Lower half of body completed save for a few details and final finishing; permanently mounted on display base
  • UPDATE 15.02.10-0100--Sword completed
  • UPDATE 15.02.10-1745--Save for attaching the sword and finishing detailing. . . DONE!
I could not be happier with the way things are coming together! This is arguably my best rendition of "rust-proofed" armour to date, and I have definitely stumbled upon a new technique for russetted armour.

The balance of the gross figure should go quickly; but the devils are in the details, and there are many of these to exorcise in the days ahead. . .

Back to the bench!

UPDATE
The resin groundwork has been permanently attached to the display base, and expanded as needed. There are probably 1 or 2 more bench sessions ahead of me to integrate everything and then the painting can begin!

05.02.10--UPDATE
The groundwork has been completed and primed. It is now sitting under the lamps to fast-dry the mist coat of primer: I should be able to have it undercoated before calling it a night. BTW, for those who are wondering, I am at least a week away from being able to set-up my photography niche. . .

12.02.10--UPDATE
The final countdown has begun: by this time next week, the piece should be on the display table at the Show. While I am still worming my way through the studio (read: temporary store room while the work on the foundation is completed), please check the updates to the original posting for progress on the piece.

3 comments:

  1. Augie,

    It looks like this WONDERFUL project is coming together quite nicely!! I'm really looking forward to seeing the next set of photos!!!:-))))

    All my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed, my friend! As you know, the time I have to spend at the bench these days is irregular at best, but I must say that the time I DO get to spend is paying off VERY handsomely!!!

    This is the first figure since I don't know when where the intrigue increases the closer it gets to completion. Were that they all this way. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Augie,

    It is good to see you back at the bench and making progress. I'm sure the project is coming along splendedly!!!:-)))

    I look forward to future posts and the ip shots as time permits. And guy, don't pull your hair out it ALL is going to work out in the end!! Keep up the great work!!:-)))

    ReplyDelete