19 January 2010

Monarch Nosferatu--PAINTING--Workbench Interlude (II bis)

The baker's dozen was reduced to an even 12--one of the keys did not fit on the chain. . . and it's just as well as it is rather crowded, as intended--AND THE KEYS ARE DONE!!!

Made, painted, and mounted!!! Five were scratchbuilt from steel rod and copper tubing; 4 (originally 5) were modified from a set of Barbie keys (don't laugh--they worked splendidly!); and three were taken from the Nosferatu kit, though these were suitably modified.

They were all finished in Gunze-Sangyo Dark Iron, applied as an initial base coat, if you will, that was then stippled with thickened lacquer. Once dry (~24 hrs. under a lamp), each key was carefully buffed before mounting on the chain. My initial intent was to apply some measured "old" rust to the keys, but I've decided to wait until the hand is permanently attached and finished to see if what I have in mind "works".

Sometime in the next 48-72 hrs. I will permanently attach the hand, and begin tying-off any remaining loose ends.

Getting closer. . .

FOLLOW-UP
I now have before me the quasi-finished piece. I have just completed attaching the right hand with its "garland" of keys, and I am delighted! Once I am satisfied the glue has cured (24-48 hrs.), I will begin the final finishing and weathering. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment