06 January 2010

Monarch Nosferatu--PAINTING (II): Undercoating 2

In anticipation of a busy weekend with the oils, I decided to go ahead and finish the undercoating of the sub-assemblies; i.e., the head and the hands. In other words, save for the night-cap, all visible flesh.

Rather than stick with my conventional formulae, I thought I'd have some fun and try out some new paints. My basic undead flesh was u/c'ed with Badger Freak-Flex's Nosferatu Flesh (#13-156) and Vallejo's Game Color Elf Flesh (#4). Some of you might recall my review of the Game Color series on EPH, where I lamented the thinness of the paint: next to Badger's Freak Flex, Game Color is as opaque as it comes! Keep in mind that BFF is meant to be applied with an airbrush, and as an a/b paint it would excel straight OOB; but I was pleased to see that it could also be applied with a brush, as long as one is careful and is willing to apply 2-3 coats. And as a tonal glaze (chromatic grisaille), it is superb!

Hands and head are now curing in the oven. I will block-in the night cap (Vallejo Model Color Black [#950]) tomorrow, as well as apply a tonal wash over the cravat and the cuffs.

I will try to post images in the next few days, or at the latest on Saturday before breaking out the oils. . .

07.01.10--FOLLOW-UP
The undercoating has been completed! Aside from continuing the tonal washes on the face using very dilute Vallejo MC Black (VERY interesting!), the only noteworthy twist was taking advantage of the plasticity of the acrylic to lightly texture the close-napped velvet cuffs.

1 comment:

  1. Augie,

    It ALL sounds really good!! I am looking forward to seeing the paints you have choosen for this piece applied. Can't wait to see the ip shots!! Keep' em coming!!

    ReplyDelete