09 January 2010

Monarch Nosferatu--PAINTING (III): Oils 3--The Face (I)

Admittedly, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself; but in honouring the concept of the sbs, I am compelled to log the next step in today's extended painting session.

As I had my blacks out and ready to go, I figured I'd go ahead and block in the pupils. Those of you who have followed my sbs's in the past know that I usually do the irises first and then add the pupils. In this case, however, being that the scene occurs late at night, I wanted to depict dilated, "hunter's" pupils. Before I proceed with the rest of the face, I will carefully apply a bordure of icy blue: Max Schreck's eyes were apparently blue.

But first, the pants and the boots. . .

4 comments:

  1. So looking forward to seeing this one come to life, or living death in his case. These old horror subjects really take me back, some of the Hammer film characters would be most welcome to see. By the way any chance of seeing some images of your Eowyn? loved that figure. Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Hardy!

    First of all, I hope you and yours had a joyous Holiday Season!

    It's moving at a fair clip, and all-but-done images should start popping-up in about a week or so. I'll still have the keys and the groundwork to take care of, but you will hopefully have a good idea of what the finalized piece will look like.

    To this day, I can not understand why the Hammer characters take such a backseat to their Universal cousins. About the only one that has a virtually universal following is Oliver Reed's Werewolf. Even Lee's Dracula doesn't really come close. I would love to see some of these icons made into 1/8 styrene kits; although Mike Hill has done some absolutely INCREDIBLE work in large-scale resin. BTW, I don't know if you are familiar with them, but check out Frontier Models (http://www.frontiermodels.co.uk/)--if that doesn't get your nostalgia juices flowing, nothing will! ;-D

    You are TOO kind!!! I'm surprised anybody even remembers that piece! I'll post some images in the following week. And if you need any more/better, just let me know: I still have her!

    All the very best in 2010,

    Augie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will very much look forward to seeing them.
    On a side note, do you attend MFCA, it will be my first time visiting the US in 2010, and this show . Would be great to see your work for real. Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hardy,

    It would be great to meet you and to see your masterpieces in person; but unfortunately, the only show I attend any more is the local Atlanta Show, the 33rd edition of which which will take place in (yikes!) less than six weeks.

    You'll enjoy MFCA immensely(!), and I hope the visit will include some down-time to enjoy the area sights.

    Back to work--unfortunately, not painting! >:-(

    Best,

    Augie

    ReplyDelete